The Agricultural Experiment Station at Penn State opened on June 30, 1887. Funded by the Hatch Act of 1887, the experiment station performed soil tests and analyzed fertilizers. It also identified plants, insects and fungi and reported on samples of various agricultural products. Reports and bulletins from the experiment station were mailed regularly to any Pennsylvania citizen who requested them free of charge.
Agricultural Experiment Station at Penn State