Step 1: Initiate connections with a community organization and Penn State faculty and staff who might be interested in collaborating on an engaged scholarship project in your course. See the list of partners to the left.
Step 2: Design an engaged scholarship project that is right for the course. The following questions can be considered:
- How can the project be an empowering experience for students and educators?
- What are the expected learning outcomes and appropriate pedagogies?
- How will the project help build relationships between the university, communities, and industry sectors?
- Who are the community partners? Think of elected officials, government officials, community groups, and residents.
- What is the expected sustainable impact on the ground?
- How does the course advance the mission of Penn State as an R1 and public university?
See the resources section to design the specifics of your project.
Step 3: Plan the dissemination of the results in the community, Penn State, and beyond. See the dissemination section to the left.
Step 4: Seek academic and administrative support opportunities for your project. See the support section to the left.