The Daily Collegian and its predecessors, serve as an important source for documenting student life at the Pennsylvania State University. Newspapers, and specifically, student-run newspapers, such as the Daily Collegian, often document university life better than any other source--through their pictures, their editorials, and their reports on student activities and interests. The Daily Collegian as we know it today was preceded by: • Free Lance (monthly) -- April 1887 to April 1904 • State Collegian (weekly) -- September 28, 1904 to June 10, 1911 • Penn State Collegian (weekly) -- September 28, 1911 to August 2, 1940 (also had Summer Collegian issues for some dates during this time period). The Historical Digital Collegian provides access to all words, photographs, and advertisements as well as an exact page image of the newspaper page containing the article. For those readers who prefer to see the newspaper intact, each issue can be browsed page-by-page. Thus, the Historical Digital Collegian allows researchers greater flexibility in locating articles of interest and in allowing greater access for those researchers not able to visit The University Libraries.
An independent, alternative Penn State news website that seeks to foster the student voice through the combination of commentary that is fair, authentic, and sometimes humorous; analysis that is critical and irreverent; and news that is relevant and accurate. Onward State works to generate honest conversation in the hopes of enriching the Penn State community and experience.
This digital content of the student newspaper of Penn State Erie, the Behrend College, contains the issues from 1948 through 1989. Through the 41 years, the paper has been through many title changes, including Behrend Collegian, Penn State Behrend Collegian, Collegian, The Behrend College Collegian, and currently The Behrend Beacon.
The Hazleton Collegian flourished from December 1937 to December 1954. The publication was published monthly through 1941, then became a weekly edition. The title changed to Highacres Collegian in January 1955 and is the current name of the student newspaper. This digital collection is through April 1994.