Criticism of films, directors, actors, or genres is generally more substantive and more complex than film reviews. Film criticism is written for an academic audience, and often situates its analysis within larger scholarly concepts and discussions.
- Subject index of scholarly journals in literature, dramatic arts (including film, radio, television, theatre)
- Coverage 1926 - current with international scope, over 2 million citations, 60 languages
The MLA International Bibliography contains more than 1.7 million records for books and articles published on modern languages, literatures, folklore, and linguistics. Navigating ProQuest with JAWS
- Indexes film, television, video articles, film reviews, book reviews
- Over 150 scholarly and popular periodicals from 30 countries, plus select others
The Film Literature Index (FLI) annually indexes 150 film and television periodicals from 30 countries cover-to-cover and 200 other periodicals selectively for articles on film and television. The periodicals range from the scholarly to the popular. More than 2,000 subject headings provide detailed analysis of the articles. The National Endowment for the Humanities awarded Indiana University a grant to convert the print version of the Film Literature Index (FLI) to electronic form. The FLI Online contains approximately 700,000 citations to articles, film reviews and book reviews published between 1976-2001.
- Bibliographic database of TV and film: writing, theory, preservation, production, cinematography, reviews
- Indexing and abstracts for more than 380 publications, selected coverage for 300 publications, full text for 120+ journals, 100 books
- Includes Variety movie reviews from 1914 to present and 36,000+ images from the MPTV Image Archive
Film & Television Literature Index is a comprehensive bibliographic database covering the entire spectrum of television and film writing, including theory, preservation and restoration; writing, production, cinematography; production and film and television reviews. It has been designed for use by a diverse audience including film scholars, college students, and general viewers. Publications include Film Journal International, Journal of British Cinema & Television, Film Criticism, Post Script, Variety, and more as well as technical publications such as SMPTE. Mirroring the international film & television industries and cultures, FTLI also includes publications such as Cahiers du Cinema, Filmihullu, SegnoCinema, and Kinetoscopio. App information
- Multi-disciplinary database with full-text periodicals, trade publications, peer-reviewed journals
- Includes monographs (books), reports, conference proceedings
- Content to 1865, with majority of full text titles in searchable PDF format
Academic Search Complete is a comprehensive scholarly, multi-disciplinary full-text database, with more than 5,300 full-text periodicals, including 4,400 peer-reviewed journals. In addition to full text, this database offers indexing and abstracts for more than 9,300 journals and a total of 10,900 publications including monographs, reports, conference proceedings, etc. The database features PDF content going back as far as 1865, with the majority of full text titles in native (searchable) PDF format.App information